In addition to the many other services that Plateau Land & Wildlife Management provides to rural landowners, we also provide property tax consultation in matters dealing with your Agricultural (Ag) or Wildlife Management Valuation (WMV).
What is Wildlife Management Tax Valuation (“Wildlife Exemption”)?
Wildlife Management Valuation is an alternate tax valuation that is available to Texas landowners through the Texas State Constitution. To move into WMV, your property must currently have an Agricultural Tax Valuation (Ag) or Timber Valuation*. WMV is a tax valuation that is exactly the same as your Ag (or Timber) status, but it provides landowners more options for managing their land. WMV is typically a more cost efficient means of maintaining a favorable tax valuation as it eliminates the need for fencing, veterinary, harvesting and other expenses associated with farming or ranching.Generally speaking, moving into WMV appeals to three types of Plateau clients:
- Ranchers and farmers who no longer want to continue ranching or farming but want to continue caring for their land and its wildlife.
- The new rural landowners who want to have their own place in the country without having to deal with livestock or farming.
- Rural landowners who want to increase their profits from hunting enterprise or eco-tourism.
A few of the many benefits associated with switching from an Ag tax valuation to a Wildlife tax valuation are:
- No livestock or fencing requirements
- Enhanced recreational value
- Improved habitat
- Increased wildlife diversity
- Returning your land to its pre-grazing condition
The primary property tax consultation services that Plateau offers are:
- Representing client’s interests in their ability to receive and maintain Ag or WMV
- Denials of tax valuations for Ag or WMV
- On-site representation with the Central Appraisal Districts
- Tax valuation issues
Plateau is uniquely qualified to perform this service because we have master-level biologists on staff who are also registered property tax consultants. This means Plateau professionals have a greater understanding of your property tax issues relative to Ag and Wildlife Management.
One of the most important aspects of our property tax consultation services is that we resolve more than 90% of cases informally. This Plateau ability saves our clients much time and money by avoiding expensive actions with the Appraisal Review Boards and keeping your expenses low.
Texas EcoLab Program
EcoLab is the one exception to the rule of needing a current Agricultural Tax Valuation (Ag) or Timber Valuation on your property to move into Wildlife Management Tax Valuation. Under this program, your land could transition into wildlife management use after just 2 years — a compelling and cost-effective alternative to the minimum 5 years of grazing or farming typically required under Agricultural tax codes for similar properties to qualify for such favorable tax savings.
EcoLab is a partnership between landowners with ecologically valuable land and university students eager to study the ecology of Texas flora and fauna. Landowners open their land to high qualified research scientists to carry out confidential ecological research on their property and in return, enhance the value of their land while also substantially reducing their property taxes by up to 98%.
To learn more, visit the EcoLab page.